Ooty Lake is an artificially constructed lake by Mr. John Sullivan in the year 1824 which extends to an area of 65 acres. In earlier days the entire lake was used for fishing, which has shrunk in size over the years giving way to other structures like the race course, bus stand and roads. The Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Corporation on behalf of the Tourism Department took the possession of the lake for pleasure boating facilities in the year 1973.
The boat house offers boating facilities with Paddle boats, Row boats, and Motor boats. It also features a garden, a mini train and an amusement park. The lake is surrounded by groves of Eucalyptus trees with a railway line running along one coast. The lake remained plagued due to growth of weeds and people dumping the waste. Even though the government take active steps in cleaning it every year, all of them fall short of being successful.
In recent years the lake and the boat house have become the hub of entertainment for the visitors. At the boat house end there is children’s park with a toytrain. In the adjacent site there is a deer park. A mini-garden is at the bus stand end and a well laid footpath circles the entire lake. Just outside the Boat house local ponies are available for jolly rides at a charge.